Rhode Island Poet Laureate, Tina Cane, and the Rhode Island Center for the Book, are partnering to launch the 2024 Rhode Island Youth Poetry Ambassador initiative. This program seeks to establish a youth poetry advocate position to be filled by a high school student (grades 9-12) who resides in the state of Rhode Island. This year’s application period takes place between November 1, 2023 – December 15, 2023.
This initiative is designed to bring more poetry directly to our state’s youth and to inspire young people through example. Just as the State Poet Laureate position symbolically affirms Rhode Island’s support of poetry, the Youth Poetry Ambassador is meant to validate and support the creative potential of our young people. A Deputy Youth Poetry Ambassador will also be selected to perform on-site, in-state duties when necessary or desirable.
A Youth Poetry Ambassador and Deputy Ambassador will be chosen by RI Poet Laureate, Tina Cane, and announced in early January 2024.
The selected Youth Poetry Ambassador and Deputy Ambassador will receive the following opportunities–contingent upon their ability and availability:
- a $1,000 cash prize for Youth Poetry Ambassador and a $500 cash prize for the Deputy Ambassador
- the opportunity to have his/her/their poetry featured through the Poetry in Motion, RI on RIPTA busses state-wide
- the opportunity to read for the distance series, Poetry is Bread
- the opportunity to do virtual and/or in-person school visits, workshops, and other public reading/ speaking engagements
Applicants may submit the following materials TOGETHER, via email or post, between November 1, 2023 and December 15, 2023:
- a one or two-paragraph statement on why s/he/they would like to be considered for this position
- a letter of support from a teacher or librarian
- a letter of support from a peer
- two original poems
Email: Kate Lentz, Director of Rhode Island Center for the Book
Mail: Rhode Island Center for the Book
Salve Regina University
100 Ochre Point Avenue
Newport, RI 02840
Attn: Kate Lentz, Director